[Ti] AirPort range on the new 15"?

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Sun Sep 21 22:42:04 PDT 2003

--On Monday, September 22, 2003 01:24 PM +0800 Phillip McGree
<phil at phil.net.au> wrote:

> One option would be to get him onto one of the new model 15" PowerBooks.  I
> am assuming with the new 15" models that they have the AirPort antenna
> built into the screen, like with the 12" and 17" models.  Is that correct?

I don't think that information is available yet. Though, since the screen is
covered with aluminum, building the antenna into it doesn't seem like the
best idea, but I'm not a radio expert.

The real test will have to wait until enough of us with 15" TiBooks get
delivery of their 15" AlBooks and see how they match up.

> The second option would be some sort of extender antenna.  He has one of
> the first model graphite Base Stations.

There are instructions on the web somewhere on how to add a small external
antenna to a Base Station. It mostly involves drilling a hole in the case so
you can get the wire through to the card inside and plug it in.

I have a small external Lucent antenna on an Orinoco base station (equivalent
to the Airport Base Station) and also added it to a Lucent AP-500 base
station and can't say I've noticed that great an improvement in range. I
think intervening walls, floors, windows, doors and furniture have a more
profound effect.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com