[Ti] Apple defends new PowerBooks' lack of L3 cache

G'kar gkar at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 15:16:24 PDT 2003

On 9/24/03 4:42 PM, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

> Pretty lame IMHO!
>
> Has anyone tried VPC on one of these? I was told that VPC made considerable
> use of the L3 cache.
>
> Aha! So maybe this is a swipe at Microsoft (Kidding).

My brother does hardware design for the dark forces so he isn't an expert on
the PPC family but he explained it like this: given two processors where
everything is equal except one has a small L2 cache and an L3 cache while
the other has a larger L2 cache, the processor with the larger L2 cache will
run more efficiently. Then, being a typical nerd, he then provided numerous
examples where that wouldn't be true :-)

david

The terrible thing about terrorism is that ultimately it destroys those who
practise it. Slowly but surely, as they try to extinguish life in others,
the light within them dies.

Terry Waite