[Ti] Apple defends new PowerBooks' lack of L3 cache

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 19:31:06 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 06:39  PM, Rod Duncan wrote:
> I guess the recent decision to put Applecare on the not-so-old and
> venerable Ti 667 DVI with the 1 MB L3 cache wasn't such a bad idea
> after all, since I do a lot of video. I'd like to see a head-to-head
> with comparable CPU's (1 GHz machines?) with and without the L3 cache.
> Doing cache intensive work with video etc.

Well, barefeat's testing (http://barefeats.com/al15.html) doesn't have
a lot of real world apps like they usually do.  However, the al15"
seems very much on par with the tibook 15" and 17" powerbook...I guess
maybe it'd take more tests to tell, but I think that in most likely,
apple's decision was valid.

Benn