[Ti] 15" AlBook power adapters

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Sat Sep 27 20:47:31 PDT 2003

on 9/27/2003 6:21 PM, David Brostoff at brostoffassoc at earthlink.net wrote:

> I don't have a new AlBook but while traveling last week I had
> forgotten to take a power adapter with me for my Ti 667 rev 2, so I
> bought a new 65W power adapter at an Apple Store. 2. It's marked
> 24.5V @ 2.65A.
>
> They told me this was compatible with all Ti books, though when I got
> home I saw that the adapters for my Ti 667 rev. 2 and an  earlier Ti
> 667 rev. 1 are both 45 W.
>
> Now I wonder-will the higher wattage do any damage?

The higher voltage could be more of a problem than amps.

However, most electronic devices are designed to be +/- 10%, which for the
original would mean that the power supply would be in spec if it delivered
between 21.6 and 26.9 volts, and 24.5 is well within that spec.

The higher amps is what the power supply *could* deliver, but the computer
will only draw what it needs, and it should only draw the 1.875A (+/- 10%)
of the original adapter.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver