[Ti] Al 15" latch problems

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Mon Sep 29 11:47:49 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003, Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com, invoked
powers within the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>I took it to my local apple store (never did turn it on).  The tech
>agreed that it was not right, and would have swapped it out then and
>there except that this was a BTO machine with the 5400 RPM drive, and
>they said they could not swap the drive with a new machine.  So they
>have to send it back and are quoting 7 to 10 days.  Bummer.

If you have another machine to work from, I suggest you send it back NOW.
Don't take any chances with something like that. If the latch won't
engage, that means there is more chance that large objects can get in
there and cause damage to your keyboard and screen. You don't want more
problems.

I had to send my PowerBook back. I had heard stories of people who had
taken in their computers, had it work properly while at the shop and the
techs treat them like idiots. So I hesitated because the problem was
intermittent and I didn't have the time to be treated like I didn't have
enough sense. I finally had to take it in when the monitor problem got to
the point that I didn't get a clear display for more than a few seconds.
I had hoped it was something that could be fixed in the store; but it
wasn't, so I cried when I had to hand over my PowerBook for the 10 days I
was quoted.

But, fortunately, if you log in to Apple.com, you can follow the repair
status online from their AppleCare page. I knew before the tech called
that my PowerBook had been returned to the shop. I had dropped it off on
Saturday morning, and picked it up on the very next Wednesday evening
after work. They will always quote you longer than needed for the repair,
but many I have talked to had their computer back in less time. If it's a
backordered part, it might take longer, but that seems to be the exception.

HTH

cheshirekat