[Ti] FireWire Port Problem

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 10:39:14 PDT 2003

At 12:41 -0400 09/30/03, b wrote:
>Tarik paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>
>>On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 04:55  pm, b wrote:
>>
>>>Are there KnowledgeBase articles on this specific issue? I saw
>>>Discussions on dead FireWire ports at the Apple support site. From
>>>what I gather, it is a question of a motherboard replacement. That's
>>>all the way out of the question for me, so I guess a PC Card will be
>>>the only way to go.
>>
>>ok -- heres what I know.
>>
>>AFAIK there are no articles at Apple about the problem,
>>
>>but:
>>
>>I had this problem on my (early) Ti 400 after around 8 months of
>>use. I immediately called Applecare, and affter doing various
>>sanity checks they agreed with me that my 1394 port was totally
>>dead.
>>
>>My Ti was sent to an Apple repair centre in Germany, and they
>>replaced a "logic board" (i did not ask them at the time if this
>>was the mobo itself or a card on the board) and the problem was
>>fixed, and it has not failed in the 2 years since.
>
>Well, thanks. I'm not on AppleCare, instead I bought a couple of
>extended care packages from the dealer, at the time, and the dealer
>is being very noncommittal about it all. I ran the Apple Hardware
>test CD and it showed no problems with the "Logic Board", but, as
>you mentioned, who knows what is meant by that.

Yes, it is the motherboard, a friend (and connected with Apple) sold
my now roommate his 500MHz TiBook, that both had the motherboard
replaced to fix the Firewire, and a new top/flatpanel to fix other
problems, so it does look like all the bugs hadn't been worked out of
'till later models.

As for firewire, I've got an external FW drive (the Mach IV from
FWdirect.com) and put a 80Gig in to play with before I put it in my
TiBook, and last month it stopped mounting?  I've talked with both
Hitachi (drive) and FWdirect (case) and it looks like until I have
time to swap out drive in my 'Book I won't know, any ideas?

erik g