[Ti] 10.2.8

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 30 23:57:22 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 08:38  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:16:49 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Ti] 10.2.8
> From: Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclife.com>
>
> On 9/30/03 9:43 PM, "Henry Kalir" <kalirhe at umdnj.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Well then perhaps a class action law suite might get their attention.
>>>
>>> Negligence causing damage is a good place to start.
>>
>> I agree, John! I'm disappointed that all those cheerleaders are not
>> coming
>> clean on this one!
>>
>> Shawn? Michael Bigley? Massimo?
>
> Huh? Are you calling us "cheerleaders"? And how are we supposed to be
> "coming clean on this one"?
>
> We're not responsible for Apple's software. BTW, we're not responsible
> for
> those people who rush out and install every little upgrade Apple puts
> out.

Indeed. Why 'cheerleader' anyway?

I always have seen problems in mailing lists after updates. To my
knowledge this is the first Apple pulls out so they recognized they
could *fix* something in it. In all these updates Apple warns against
using hacks to the OS and they did it with this one as well.
But they pulled it so I am not saying it was 100% OK.

I have a *procedure* for updates that still has to prove me wrong (it
might not have helped me if I had a dual G4 450MHz - apparently this is
the one more frequently hit). Before updates I *clean* my OS repairing
privileges and running Diskwarrior. I use only COMBO and then repair
privileges again. 10.2.8 gave me problems with the battery which seems
to have been solved by resetting the NVRAM.

I have a colleague whose Mac is a third-party add-ware junk-yard and
had to reverto to 10.2.6 . Was I surprised? Not really.
Again, 10.2.8 seems to have fallen even shorter then customary but on
Apple Discussions there is hardly more than a thousands users who have
problems (different posts that is). Apple reacted and pulled it quickly
because of the dual G4 issue with ethernet loss but otherwise 10.2.8 is
working OK for a lot of people and no different then previous updates.
(MHO)

Massimo