Multiregion hack now available for Superdrive

Selwyn Ward selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 5 02:02:28 PDT 2004

I am reminded that I neglected to include any links!  The most reliable
website I found is:

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

This offers downloads for all the PB DVD drive versions for which hacks are
so far available.  You need to check the version of drive you have in the
System Profiler (About This Mac in your Finder pulldown menus).  My drive is
the Matshita UJ-815, for which a hack is now available.  You must not run a
firmware hack for the wrong type of drive because that will permanently
damage it.  My drive had been converted by a previous firmware update (from
Apple) to UJ-815A, so I had to find another hack to "downgrade it" before I
could upgrade it to a region-free drive.  Happily, that was also on the
website.  If your PB has the UJ-816 drive, then, as I understand it, that
still does not yet have a region-free hack.  Hope this is a help.