Dead Titanium/500

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 17 09:37:50 PDT 2004

If the battery is bad but it's still plugged in, it should still boot.
You could always try removing the battery and run it off AC alone, but
it shouldn't make a difference.  My best guess would be to reset the
power manager.  On that model, turn it off (press the caps lock key and
make sure it doesn't light up; if it does, hold down the power button
until it turns off, that's how you know when the computer is totally
off).  Find the little reset button on the back of the computer, near
the modem port IIRC.  Press it briefly once, and make sure it doesn't
get caught on the edge of the case when you release it.  Wait five
seconds, press the power button.  See if that makes a difference.  Just
out of curiosity, you might want to check both before and after whether
the caps lock light comes on after pressing the power button.
Anyway, if that doesn't do it, you might want to try a few different
things; first, check the RAM; if you have two sticks, try pulling one
at a time out.  If you don't, well, we'll just assume it's good.  Next,
tighten the Torx-8 screws on either side of the RAM slot, and any other
T8s that are accessible from the top.  I've seen a few problems caused
by those screws being loose, causing a short or something like that.
After you've tried that, you're probably getting into the territory of
a more serious repair.  Call Apple to send it in, if it's worth about
$400 to you.

On a side note, the AASP I work for had an interesting case once.  A
woman purchased a Titanium to replace her old PowerBook 190, tried it
for about a day, and decided she liked her old PowerBook better.  So,
she put the Titanium on a shelf, and left it there, for a little over a
year.  Well, one day, her 190 died, just wouldn't work at all.  So she
grabs the Titanium and, lo and behold, it's dead too.  She brought it
in, and decided not to pay for a new logic board (which is fairly
expensive).  Moral of the story: Use it or lose it!  ;-)  Or, at least,
if you're gonna buy a nice computer, give it to me for a few years
until you decide you actually *want* to use it.  I'd like a G5 right
now, if anybody's got a spare.  Dual 2 GHz, if you please.  I'd like to
play around with OS X Server, and my spare computer (a 12" PowerBook)
probably isn't the best thing to run it on.  If you don't have a G5,
I'd also take an Xserve G5 and Xserve RAID in its place.  Mmmm, yummy.
Compute power that I will never ever need...

...until Microsoft comes out with Office 2010, which will probably need
a small cluster of computers for the CPU power it needs, and a disk
array to hold the whole thing.

Jane <cbirds at earthlink.net> writes