[Ti] Powerbook thieving

Wendy Austin & Thomas Oswin auswin at intnet.mu
Mon Apr 19 21:07:20 PDT 2004

I have to agree with Wilson Ng on this, and I don't think he will scare
or cause mass panic amongst those of us who travel with our TiBook.
What he says is true, people have had their laptops stolen at the x-ray
machine.  I am usually passing through this part of the airport on my
own and am extra careful and never put my laptop through until it is
all clear.  The only country that I travel to where I have to remove
the laptop from its bag and sleeve and shove it in a plastic tray to go
through the x-ray machine is Australia, where I then have to muck
around putting it all together again.  Everywhere else I can leave it
in its bag.

Most airports I travel to are not staffed by people who have English as
their first language, and as Wilson pointed out, I would be very
surprised if the whole place came to a stop because I yelled "Stop!
Thief!".

As far as security cameras go, by the time the staff got organised to
check them, my TiBook would be long gone.  I don't travel to the USA so
things might be different there.  However, here is a tip for anyone
going to India.  A TiBook using friend who has lived there for years
had just picked up his new 12" model and was taking a rickshaw home,
had the new laptop in a bag, along with his credit cards, passport etc,
on the seat beside him, he glanced around at something to the side for
a matter of seconds and when he looked back, laptop bag was gone and
the rickshaw was moving all the time.  Luckily he had insurance to
cover it.

Wendy Austin

On Apr 20, 2004, at 04:48, Shawn King wrote:

> Whoa, whoa, whoa.....
>
> "Oftentimes"? That kind of theft, while it happens, is rare. No need to
> cause panic or scare people.
>
>> and will
>> intentionally delay you while your powerbook is finished x-raying and
>> someone tries to grab it while you struggle to try to catch the thief.
>
> And security knows about this and will most likely stop *everyone* the
> second you yell, "Stop! Thief!"
> --
> Shawn King

Wendy Austin  & Thomas Oswin