[Ti] Powerbook thieving

brian s fl1pper at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 08:44:31 PDT 2004

I have been away for six months (at least). Nice to see a lot of the familiar folks still here. I just started working again after a 10-month interruption, punctuated by an attempted theft of my old 667 Ti-Book, in NYC. Fortunately, the guy ran up a 'down' escalator in Penn Station (As Det. Briscoe would say, "I love it when they're stupid.")

Unfortunately, my carrying bag was open at the time, and the Powerbook took a 15-foot fall into a planter box, where a support stick (or somesuch unfamiliar gardening-related item) went up inside the Combo drive, destroying it for good. The odds on that were long, to say the least, but I still have the Book, and despite the lack of a CD/DVD drive, (and my fried firewire port due to power hitting the data lines a while back)... I still love it.

I am, however, cut off from all my external drives, CDs (many hundreds), etc. Bummer.

My new job (private Co. in Computer Sciences up at Syracuse U.), is all on Win98 IBM boxes. Good gawd. But, I am (at least partially) 'back'. Will have a dsl at the barn within 10 days, and I'm really looking forward to reading this list on a regular basis again. It is great to know that everyone's still at it.

I set my 667 down for ten seconds... s**t happens fast.

~flipper