[Ti] [OT] Word processor

Arjan Bos arjan.bos at hetnet.nl
Mon Apr 19 23:56:32 PDT 2004

On 19 apr 2004, at 13:15, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> Thank you for all the help everyone who responded.
>
> I'm certainly going to take a look at TeX/LaTeX for my up and coming
> dissertation write-up for my MSc degree.
>
> Thanks especially to Viktor for writing the book -- I'll take a look.
>
> I really don't know enough to even know the difference between TeX and
> LaTeX. Is there a FAQ or a "Dummies guide" ? I'll google for it and
> see what I get.

There's a lot of information available on the web for both TeX and
LaTeX. LaTeX is basically a macro package written on top of TeX. It's
designed to make life easier for you. TeX lets you adjust and tweak
more than vanilla LaTeX. But there are a lot of additional packages
available for LaTeX.

When you use Fink to install LaTeX you get almost all extra packages,
including their documentation. I suppose that other installers do it
the same way.

The book by Leslie Lamport is a good intro into LaTeX. The book by
Michel Goosens describes most of the additional packages. You can also
take your questions to news://comp.text.tex where they are very
helpful. The few questions I had were answered very quick and to the
point.

Arjan

---
Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up
with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician
was the Man; he had the Vote.

-- Discworld politics explained  (Terry Pratchett, Mort)