[Ti] New Powerbooks!

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Apr 20 11:33:35 PDT 2004

Sherman Gregory typed this message on 4/20/04 1:47 PM:

> I did.  I BTO'd the options that you mention, plus I also kicked in
> extra $100 for the single 512MB stick instead of two 256MB sticks.
>
> As far as the memory option goes, I put together a spreadsheet
> looking at seven different final memory configurations against the
> five options offered by apple.    The seven configurations that I
> looked at were 512,768,1024,1536,2048, and then 512 and 1024 leaving
> a slot open for the future.
>
> Obviously if 512 is going to be the final size, then you don't want
> to spend the  extra $100.  If 768,1024, or 1536 are going to be your
> final size, or if you want 512 for now, but a slot open for the
> future, then spending the $100 is the cheapest way to go.  If you are
> going for the full 2GB or want 1024 with an empty slot, the don't
> spend the $100 and just throw away the 256s (OK,  or leave on in for
> a total of 1280).  In no case could I make the three higher options
> from Apple make sense unless you just like having Apple blessed RAM
> in you machine.

I will probably opt for the single 1g module leaving the other one empty for
now. But what I will do is have my favorite retailer order in the basic RAM
configuration, have the two 256m sticks pulled and have him add in a less
expensive (then Apple's price) 1g module. When the next (read more RAM
hungry) version of OSX comes along, I will probably order a second module.
This basically is the strategy I used with the machine I have now (with 512m
modules, mind you) and it seems to have worked pretty well.

jg