[Ti] Help with an iTunes problem

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Tue Apr 20 13:55:34 PDT 2004

On 4/20/04 12:39 PM, "Joseph W. Chance" <jchance at midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to fix this one.  I keep my iTunes library on an
> external drive.  While importing some CD covers, it (Panther) crashed.
> When I re-booted, my iTunes Music Library file is no longer valid.  I
> tried making a new alias and moving it to the User/Music folder, but it
> still says that it is not valid.  Along the way, something happened to
> the music library folder on the external drive.  Any suggestions how to
> return the playlists to their proper working order.  The music is still
> there, just the library file does not work.  Thanks.

This has caused me to lose my playlists *UGH* many times, but I now backup
the library file weekly.

However, there is now a built in recovery tool of sorts.  Move your library
file out of the itunes folder (in ~/Music/), and also move out the itunes
music library.xml file.  Open itunes, it will be empty.  Go to file, import,
and import the xml file.

All will be well.
--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook