60 Gb Drive

Steve Parker themacintoshguy at parkerpress.com
Wed Apr 21 12:21:05 PDT 2004

on 4/21/04 11:29 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List at
Titanium at lists.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:25:11 -0400
> From: Malcolm Hamilton
> Subject: faster int. hd question
>
> Hi all -
> Has anyone on the list installed the 60GB 7200RPM internal hd
> (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar) in their powerbook?  I'm wondering if it
> speeds things up in any noticeable way.
> Or, if you have lots of RAM, maybe the faster-spinning drive doesn't
> make much of a difference?
> Any advice from someone who's tried the new drive, or knows about
> these things, would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

Malcom,

I upgraded my TiPB 500 from a 48Gb/5400RPM Travelstar to the 60/7200, and an
VERY happy with the results. This is a MUCH, MUCH quieter drive than the old
48, and data moves quite a bit faster. I do a lot of photoshop work as well
as large website management, and everything seems to be much quicker. What's
interesting is that the 48Gb was an upgrade from an older, smaller 7200RPM
drive, with a smaller buffer, and the speed really didn't decrease that
much. But going back up to 7200RPM with 8Mb buffer made quite a difference.

I'm quite happy that I did this (and now I have a 48Gb drive I can use CCC
to clone to for backups.... :)

Steve

--
Steve Parker                O-

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when
you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.
          - unknown