Journaling

John simplymail at ururk.com
Wed Apr 21 13:25:19 PDT 2004

> I come from the LInux portable world (switched in November to an iBook
> and ordered Monday a new 12" Pbook and switch to this list). When you
> use a journaled filesystem with Linux, the disk which hosts the system
> will flush buffers and the journal with regular time intervals, so in
> practice it never powers down (it can be altered, but it is tricky). I
> guess this is similar in OSX.

This makes sense, and it appears Journaling is on. I am not too sure I
want it to be on, or not. I would prefer to turn it off, but is that
advisable?

Will this increase my battery life? I want to increase the HD life, and
prefer it sleeps when I am away for it for a large chunk of time.

John Pariseau