[Ti] Journaling

Ted Johansson ted.johansson at pobox.com
Wed Apr 21 15:45:09 PDT 2004

21 apr 2004 kl. 22:25 skrev John:

>> I come from the LInux portable world (switched in November to an
>> iBook and ordered Monday a new 12" Pbook and switch to this list).
>> When you use a journaled filesystem with Linux, the disk which hosts
>> the system will flush buffers and the journal with regular time
>> intervals, so in practice it never powers down (it can be altered,
>> but it is tricky). I guess this is similar in OSX.
>
> This makes sense, and it appears Journaling is on. I am not too sure I
> want it to be on, or not. I would prefer to turn it off, but is that
> advisable?
>
> Will this increase my battery life? I want to increase the HD life,
> and prefer it sleeps when I am away for it for a large chunk of time.

Try turning it off and see if the disk will halt after some time.

Journalling is good when the computer crashes, because you do not
(usually) get any disk errors that needs reparing after a crash
("checkdisk" type of simple scanning/repairs). A system can be
restarted much faster after a failure because disks have not to be
scanne, just check if the journal is synced. This may be very important
for a large server with lot of user depending on it and GB to TB disks.

For OSX on a single-user portable, it does not seems that critical, at
least from the previous mentioned reasons.
Maybe there are other aspects that I am not aware of.

/Ted