[Ti] New Ti Powerbook

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 21:32:40 PDT 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Dave Cedrone wrote:
> Why did they switch to Aluminum? Was it because of the reported
> Airport problems with titanium or something additional?

In addition to the notes people have also posted, as well as chiming in
on the "flimsy" discussion, I believe the switch to aluminum also made
for more durable powerbooks.
I owned a tibook 400 and now I have a Rev. A 17" powerbook and here are
some of the differences (that relate to the metal used) that I've
enjoyed in the newer 'book:
-The aluminum is tough and mostly scratch/chip resistant.
-Again, durability--Sometimes I carry my 17" powerbook on one side on
with one hand.  I would never do this with my tibook because it seemed
to flex so much--I could feel the metal giving.  Not so with the
aluminum.
-Back of the screen: on the tibook, a light rub to the back would show
discoloration on the LCD.  On the aluminum, I can press hard against
the back and it doesn't cause any discoloration.

I had my tibook for two years.  I've had the 17" powerbook for a year
(coming up April 30th!).  So far, pretty much everything has been
better with the 17" powerbook.  Heck I even prefer the side ports.

But those are just my thoughts...
Benn