[Ti] Cleaning ink off screen?

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 13:08:45 PDT 2004

>No!  Alcohol = bad!
>You should only clean your screen with water, or if you really want
>to, some commercial product that contains no alcohol or ammonia.
>See the Apple article below.  I believe that Alcohol can wear off
>the coating on the screen (you might not notice this happening),
>discolor it, and damage the plastics in the screen and the case
>materials too.  See the article linked below for Apple's official
>statement...

Well okay, but there are many products that contain alcohol that are
designed for laptop computer screens - I'm looking at a product from
Fellowes Computerware - It is called "Screen Cleaner" and "cleans
glass, plastic and polarizing filters, including notebook computer
screens".  It also says "caution: Fellowes Screen Cleaner contains
ethanol and butyl cellusolve".  It smells somewhat like a cross
between suntan lotion and ethanol, kinda like that "Malibu" alcoholic
beverage.

We clean alot of screens with this stuff (not Malibu) - about 20
laptops x 4 years - and haven't seen any problems.  Maybe when we are
finished with it (we bought a few cases a while back), we'll switch
to something that is not alcohol based.

>And nothing is going to help with that stuck pixel; it's certainly a
>transistor that is broken (can never be turned on, so the pixel
>can't be darkened).  And, unless you plan on trying to do some
>microscopic laser surgery to implant a new transistor in the middle
>of your screen (HA!), there's not much you can do.  Oh, and don't
>forget that you have to hook that transistor up to a wire running
>vertically, a wire running horizontally, and a capacitor or two, all
>embedded right in the middle of your screen (and yes, you're looking
>right through a few hundred thousand or million of them as you read
>my message).

Sorry you took me so seriously - I was joking.  I know what a stuck
pixel is - I've massaged many of them in my day.

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.3