[Ti] Toshiba's New 100GB 2.5-inch HDD

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 16:26:27 PDT 2004

Ooops! For some reason this post got sent only to Steve. I intended it to go
the Titanium List. I don't know how it happened. Anyway, for what it's worth
here is some research I did this afternoon...

Steve Wozniak typed this message on 4/23/04 2:18 PM:

> At 12:37 PM -0400 4/23/04, John Griffin wrote:
>> Well, if you look at the specs between a Toshiba drive that rotates at 5400
>> versus a drive that rotates at 4200, these are the differences:
>>
>> MK6022GAX has:
>>
>> Start:  5.0w
>> Seek:   2.9w
>> R/W:    2.5w
>> Idle:   1.05w
>> Sby:    0.25w
>> Sleep:  0.1w
>>
>> MK6021GAS has:
>>
>> Start:  4.7w
>> Seek:   2.6w
>> R/W:    2.3w
>> Idle:   0.9w
>> Sby:    0.25w
>> Sleep:  0.1w
>
> I'd be interested to know the transfer rates of the 100 GB (4200 RPM) drive
> vs. an 80 GB (5400 RPM) one.

I looked up the Toshiba specs for the 100g drive (which are incomplete at
this point - further data available in May) and it says the 100M drive has a
DMA max transfer rate of 100mb/sec. This is the same listed for the 80M 5400
rpm Travelstar (which I assume is the one that we can opt for in the new
Powerbooks).

For those who are interested in the 5400 rpm Travelstar, here are some power
specs which can be compared with the above listed Toshibas:

Travelstar 5K80

Max. media transfer 450 Mbits/sec
Max. interface transfer rate 100MB/sec Ultra DMA mode-5, 16.6MB/sec PIO
mode-4

Power:

Startup:    5w
Seek (av.): 2.6w
R/W (av.):  2.5w
Performance idle:   2.0w
Active idle:    1.3w
Low power idle: 0.85w
Sby:        0.25w
Sleep:      0.1w
Power consumption efficiency (w/GB): 0.011/0.014/0.024/0.043

jg