[Ti] Albook scratch

John Mistretta mistretta at mac.com
Tue Apr 27 16:01:25 PDT 2004

I feel your pain. My Al-book slid off my lap on to the edge of a glass
table which burnished two wide 6 mm marks on the top lid. So p*ssed.
Still it resists scratches a whole lot better than my old white iBook.

As others have mentioned, it's not really possible to polish it out,
since the aluminum has what is essentially a matt finish. Someone else
mentioned a sandblaster would fix it and I think he's right but I
wouldn't try it even if I could find one. Maybe there's an acid that
would react chemically to leave a matt finish. . .

I'm also skeptical as to how any kind of paint finish would work (my
area of experience) It's pigment which would have to be ground
precisely to match the "grain" of the aluminum finish and the binder
would also have to be a perfectly flat finish, thin enough to blend in
and durable enough to not rub off.

I'd like to be wrong, if someone tries it please report. . .