[Ti] 10.3.7 and Preview application...[OT]

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Dec 16 10:31:44 PST 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 8:57 AM, John Griffin wrote:

> Well I checked. I didn't update Preview at all. It is still version
> 2.1.0 with a 2003 copyright. Mine was last modified on Oct. 27, 2004.
>
> Did anyone get Preview updated?

An update to an application doesn't always mean you're going to get a
new version number.  Sometimes just the static or dynamically linked
libraries (frameworks) are updated.

The Quicktime framework on Mac does all of the heavy lifting when it
comes to displaying images and playing sounds and movies, while the
Quicktime Player application, for instance, is just a graphical
interface to accessing the Quicktime framework. Finder previews use
Quicktime to render images and movies directly in the Finder window.
Preview and iPhoto uses Quicktime to display pictures. The alert sounds
that you hear coming from your Mac are all processed by Quicktime.
iTunes uses Quicktime to play all the music files.  PDF is even
integrated into Quicktime and the Mac's imaging model is based on the
PDF specification contained in Quicktime.

Deleting the application "Quicktime Player" is far different from
removing Quicktime entirely from Mac OS X. Quicktime Player is simply
the main application that uses the framework to display the relevant
files. You can delete it if you want, and Mac OS X will not complain.
But if you delete the actual Quicktime framework (located at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Quicktime.framework ), Finder, Mail,
Quicktime Player, Preview, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and so
forth, will all cease to function. Applications that aren't based on
Quicktime, like iSync, Terminal, TextEdit, or Safari, will continue to
work normally.

In this case, and the reason a reboot was required after the update, is
because the Quicktime framework was replaced, and portions of it affect
different applications.  Therefore the application that uses the
framework was updated, but it doesn't mean you're going to get a new
build.
--
Chris