[Ti] Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM or 80GB 5400RPM?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Fri Dec 17 04:29:48 PST 2004

At 11:09 -0800 16/12/04, Susan Rennie wrote:
>I am trying to decide which of these two hard drives to buy for my
>Ti 800 (40GB). I would like more hard drive space and am leaning to
>the 80GB, since I don't think it is that much slower than the 60GB.
>Has anyone had experience with this hard drive? A quiet drive is a
>premium for me.

Susan - few people will be able to give a side-by-side comparison, as
these are really alternatives.

I have the 80Gb/5400 in my 15" Al-book (built to my order).  It is very quiet.
I have been tempted by the faster 60Gb drive, but I think that for
the moment, I need the space rather than more speed.   If (when) a
faster 80Gb is available, I shall likely trade up and use my current
80Gb for backup, in an external case.  If I had my Ti still, I think
the speed would be more important than the space.  Both will be
faster than your 40Gb (which is probably 4200 rpm) but I think you
will benefit more from the speed of the 7200......

Trevor