[Ti] future 'books: with WiMax cards ?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Fri Dec 17 23:02:57 PST 2004

At 00:44 -0600 18/12/04, Dennis Fazio wrote:
>"Dr. Trevor J. Hutley" <hutley at geneva-link.ch> wrote:
>
>>Since Airport Extreme is now standard in Mac laptops, I am wondering if
>>there is any view or rumour on the Apple thinking about WiMax (next version
>>of the 802.11 standard).
>>Will there be a new Airport to handle this?
>
>Intel will be building 802.16 transceivers into its motherboards soon.

Dennis - that is what I heard.

>What Apple will do is not yet visible.

and that is why I asked my question.  I wondered if somehow I had
missed an Apple paper or statement on this subject

>Whether there are chip sets that have dual functionality (802.11 AND
>802.16) is not known to me

nor me, hence my question

>and may not be practical.

we need a techie to help get to the definitive answer on this, who
knows and understands the differences between 802.11 and the new
802.16

>It might be necessary to have an Airport card for WiFi and an
>"Spaceport" card for WiMax

I guess my hope is that the 'Spacecard' will also handle WiFi, rather
than having to have 2 cards...

I want my laptop to weight less, not more!

Trevor