[Ti] Running Cool

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 01:54:10 PST 2004

I've relegated <gasp!> my TiBook 550 to the role of iMovie/iDVD/iTunes media
creation/distribution hub, and, as has been discussed previously, when under
load (say, pulling songs from iTunes in the living room and playing songs
locally from iTunes - or just using creating a DVD with iDVD) the fan kicks
on.

While I would expect the fan to come on when the TiBook is compressing video
in iDVD, I'd not expect it to come on when it's just playing and serving
music via iTunes.

I'm curious about any long term effects due to the fan running at high speed
for several hours at a time, and what products y'all have used to keep your
TiBook running cool as cucumbers.

I put rubber feet (rubber?) on it several years ago - when I determined that
the feet that came on it were...maybe not next to useless, but close.
Supposedly they help with air flow, but I doubt they do very much.

Save sitting it on an ice pack when creating DVDs, or only burning DVDs
during the winter while sitting out on the front porch, what's a poor boy to
do?

Thanks!

John

(P.S. Don't tell me to "get a job"!)