[Ti] Project: Removing back of screen for LCD projector display

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 31 11:16:53 PST 2004

I cracked the shell of a 12" clamshell iBook a couple years ago...
It's a fun project, though it's not for the faint of heart.  And the
one I took apart was already broken, so I didn't have to worry about
killing anything.  ;-)  There are lots of things that can get broken -
like the miniscule fluorescent lamp that provides all the light for the
screen.  The 15" Titanium is probably the hardest laptop in existence
to take the LCD out - or at least, on the Mac side of things.  The
Aluminum 15" is cake (comparatively, at least - still not for the faint
of heart).

The only thing you'll want to know is, as that article already sent on
Tom's Hardware somewhat mentions, you need brightness from your
overhead.  What they don't tell you is that an LCD showing all white
will have a little less than half the brightness of the projector with
nothing on it.  This is an inherent quality of LCDs because they must
be backlit; OLEDs, which produce their own light at the pixel level
rather than being backlit across the whole screen, don't have this
characteristic, and hence can use much less power.

Anyway, good luck with it - maybe while you're at it, improve upon the
article's suggestion by getting a *quiet* cooling fan (perhaps even
replacing the projector's internal fan, which is likely to be quite
loud).