[Ti] Re: [macsig] Pop-ups in Safari?

John simplymail at ururk.com
Fri Dec 31 18:26:28 PST 2004

On Dec 31, 2004, at 8:57 PM, John wrote:

> Suddenly I'm getting pop-up windows in Safari despite having the menu
> item set to block them and running Pith Helmet. Are others seeing
> this? Try, for example, <http://www.elgato.com>.
>
> John Muccigrosso

That's not really a true pop-up window, it's actually pretty clever.
Drag the "window" to the edge of the browser window - notice how the
pop-up doesn't leave the browser window.

Safari currently cannot block certain pop-up windows. I don't know a
huge amount about the underlying reasons, but suffice it to say these
ones come up:

The kind drudgereport uses (click on a link, and you get a stupid
pop-under)

Flash pop-ups

javascript pop-ups like the site you mentioned.

This pop-up uses some code from this file
http://www.elgato.com/wz_dragdrop.js.

Which references this site:

http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm

The code below is actually in the index file, and it looks like it
contains the contents of the "pop-up":

<script type="text/javascript" src="wz_dragdrop.js"></script>
border-width: 0pt; border-style: solid; z-index:7; top:165px;
left:65px;'><TABLE WIDTH=648 BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
.
.
.

Correct me if I am wrong - I don't know how to program in javascript,
though I have tinkered around with it a bit.