10.3.1 last usable version for 400/500Mhz (Firewire vs. trackpad)

Steve Martin stevemartin at mac.com
Wed Feb 4 14:21:13 PST 2004

It would appear so, at least if you use firewire drives.

If you have a 400Mhz or 500Mhz PowerBook G4, 10.3.2 or later, and and
an external firewire drive, try the following.

In the Finder, select a large file on the firewire drive. Type
Command-D (or select Duplicate from the File Menu).  Now move the mouse
around with the trackpad.

What I see (and others has confirmed) is random mouse movement, random
clicking, random drag selecting.  All this with trackpad clicking
disabled.

The only solution I have found is to stick with 10.3.1, perhaps someone
could figure out which components updated by 10.3.2 could be
"downgraded".

Anyone who can test 10.3.3 seeds, I'd love to hear if that might fix it.

Any suggestions on how to get this on Apple's radar?

--
Steve Martin
Smart Calibration, LLC           http://www.smartcalibration.com/