[Ti] Thanks on Classic OS

Macintosh info mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 17 10:22:13 PST 2004

Hi,

I am late to this party, but I can suggest a few things...

1) I prefer to have my OSX and OS9 separated on two different
partitions/volumes.  Easier to sort through everything.  But also, you have
more flexibility with regard to which version of the Classic OS you wish to
run - if you have Panther and wish to run OS9 in Classic mode, you are
limited to 9.2.1.  There are reasons you might want to run OS 9.0.4, for
example.

2) Even though I am on Panther, I still feel that the speed of OS 9 has yet
to be beat, in certain situations.  If you dedicate your Mac to a particular
task and you don't encumber it with extraneous system extensions and fonts,
OS 9 can blaze circles around Panther.  I can tell you that Office 98 is
MUCH faster than Office X.

3) Pony up the $$$ for a 7200 RPM internal drive upgrade.  I think, yes,
512mb minimum of RAM is in order, but the faster internal drive makes a HUGE
difference, especially if your applications make significant use of scratch
disk.

My $.02...

Bill Planey