PCMCIA card for Ti - any success stories out there?

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Wed Feb 18 06:37:33 PST 2004

Hi again -
I mentioned a few months ago that I got a SanDisk PCMCIA CompactFlash
PC card adapter (so I can download photos when on the road, without
having to carry around a USB card reader), and it was causing not
just crashes, but kernel panic crashes.
Some of you kindly responded, suggesting that maybe I needed to get a
newer driver from SanDisk, or maybe upgrade to 10.2.8.
Here's what SanDisk had to say:  "Unfortunately, there are no known
issues. All the drivers are provided by the operating system".
So I upgraded to 10.2.8, but when I tried to use the PCMCIA card, the
same thing happened that happened before:  the little icon for the
card didn't appear on my desktop, but appeared in my menu at the top
(this seems odd, doesn't it?); I clicked on the icon... and the
computer crashed.

Shall I try another type of PCMCIA card adapter?  Upgrade to Panther?

Are some of you successfully using PCMCIA cards for the purpose I've
described?  If so, what kind of cards, and what operating system are
you running.  Are you following any special instructions for using
the card?
(My computer is a 400MHz Ti, by the way; 768MB of RAM).
Thanks for any help or advice!
Malcolm