[Ti] Help with Digital Audio in (original TI400)

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Sat Feb 21 02:00:51 PST 2004

For a simple digital in try M-Audio's Transit
(http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=8165223d4cfae86989745b38a55cdfcb).
It's a USB device with optical digital in, and out so you can dump
back to DAT if needed.  You can also use it to output digital from
iTunes or DVDs to your stereo for surround sound and such.  Or check
out the various interfaces at Audiomidi.com for options (J&R has the
best price on the Transit.)  Certainly for just moving DAT digital
(make sure the device can handle the higher 48kHz sampling rate) back
and forth Transit is, I think, the cheapest way to go with a
laptop-if you know someone with a G5 you could use their built-in
optical in to do a quick dump.  (Check osxaudio.com for reviews and
articles on lots of audio stuff.)

Now an app to get the data may be a little more tricky, but, search
the archives (on Yahoo) for other apps that people like, say Spark
ME, that's free (maybe even ProTools Free if you still using OS 9),
both do basic capture, and audio editing, otherwise look at the more
capable programs (BIAS' Peak or Deck, Spark LE-XL, even Toast has
audio editing stuff.)  You could go all out for one of the audio and
MIDI packages (Logic, Digital Performer, Metro, etc.) but you just
need to edit audio which Peak and Spark are made for, also be sure
you can use AISO, or CoreAudio drivers (usual drivers for audio
programs) with whatever card you're using to capture from.

Certainly ask questions, I know there are many people on this list
who have experience with this stuff.

erik g