[Ti] RAM question?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 22 09:10:54 PST 2004

For a savings of $50 on $300 (don't forget Crucial's shipping is free,
compared to $6 for this "Omni" company), I'd say it's probably not
worth it.  They certainly don't make their own chips, and I very much
doubt they even make the PCB the chips are on.  The photo they show
uses chips from Crucial, but I would bet you anything that photo isn't
the actual product.  Several reasons: First, that "Omni Technologies"
label is photoshopped on.  Judging by the layout of the chips and other
SO-DIMMs I've seen, there should be a whole lot more of those tiny
chips along the bottom where the logo appears (I forget whether those
are resistors or something else, though).  Also, the green background
behind it isn't quite the same color as the PCB.  Second reason that's
not what they're selling: They advertise the chips as Ball Grid Array
chips.  The chips pictured are NOT BGA; you can see the pins coming out
the side (as opposed to out the bottom).
Anyway, if you're still inclined to buy from them, I'd say call them
up, and ask them who they buy their chips from.  If they tell you
multiple vendors, ask them which, or at least for a sampling of them.
If they don't know, see if you can get pictures of the memory, or the
part numbers printed on the chips.  That can't account for a crappy
PCB, but if we can discover that the chips are from a reputable
manufacturer, that's at least a start.

Da Pen <macstonelson at yahoo.com>