Titanium PB Trade-in Experience

F. Hill fhill at gci.net
Sun Feb 22 22:39:06 PST 2004

To JFL:

I took advantage of the trade-in offer.  The procedure went much faster
and smoother than I had expected.  The customer service rep explained
that what they really insisted on was only 3 things:  screen display and
optical drive must be in good condition, and the computer must actually
still work.  They require that the original RAM be reinstalled (if you
have installed extra, they will not return it, so take it out first).
They do not want the original paperwork, manuals, or software.  They
want only the battery, AC power block, and the computer itself. They
want your password and user name if you plan to send the computer "as
is".  If you erase the computer and reinstall the original software, it
makes it easier for them to turn on the computer to make sure it works
satisfactorily.  It is your own responsibility to erase the hard drive
and keep your stuff on a backup somewhere.  The tech did not explain
what they plan to do with the old computers.  Apparently they don't care
at all about scratches and missing feet or broken latches.  That makes
me inclined to believe the speculations that Apple wants usable titanium
PBs for their workable parts.

I received the empty box from Apple two days later.  The next day I
mailed out my old computer.  The tech said if the computer was not found
to be satisfactory, they would call me on the phone to ask for further
instructions (?repair, return, etc.?).  Without further contact, 7 days
after I mailed out my old computer, I received a new one on my doorstep.

I have to admit, the new aluminum 15" PBG4s are not nearly as attractive
as the titanium ones in my personal estimation.  However, my titanium
was 3 years old without a CD/DVD burner, and had a small HD capacity.
It was time to upgrade.  I miss not being able to boot into OS9, even
though I use it less and less.  OS9 has some software which won't work
in Classic and which is hard to give up.  But in return for loosing OS9
and my old titanium, I think I got a lot for my $700 credit.

Hope this helps.

F. Hill