[Ti] PB Trade In

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Feb 24 22:31:33 PST 2004

I've been involved recently in buying and setting up each of
these recently.  The "OS 9 boot" advertised is limited:

PMG4 wouldn't boot from an old orange "9" OS9 CD, the iBook would.
Their OS9 install was available only as Software Restore on both.
To have OS9 on a separate partition, it was necessary to drag-copy
   the OS9 System Folder from the Software Restore install, which
   had actually installed OS 9 as Classic for OSX.  After that copy,
   then delete the three "Classic ..." items from the OS 9
   partition System Folder.
I made extensive attempts to install OS 9 from various CD's in
   various ways on a separate partition on the PMG4, all
   unsuccessful.  Only the above worked.*  I didn't waste time
   trying on the iBook, which was bought later.  Apple Tech Support
   said it was an issue about the logic board on the PMG4 being
   later than and different from the version needed for the OS 9
   CD versions of OS 9.  I did get someone else's one of those PMG4
   units to boot from somebody's copy of an eMac's (vintage unknown)
   OS 9 install CD, but wasn't able to see how well things actually
   worked booted that way.  (* that is, I could go through what
   seemed like an install of OS 9 from an orange "9" CD, but the
   partition wouldn't show up when booting with option key held
   down to get the boot drive choice, and tho choosable in OSX Sys
   Prefs, booting from the supposedly OS 9 partition would hang
   very early in the bootup process.)

 . . .