[Ti] File Vault

arjan.bos at icu.nl arjan.bos at icu.nl
Sat Jan 3 05:06:51 PST 2004

On 30 dec 2003, at 18:42, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> Right so it either requires having a secure user and fast user
> switching or keeping
> photos and music somewhere else outside of Home and ensuring iPhoto
> and iTunes can find them.
>
> Not sold on FileVault yet.

Neither am I. I created several small(-ish) encrypted, secured disk
images for my important files. These images easily fit on a memorystick
(each), so I can always carry them with me. They are encrypted, so it's
not easy to read them without the correct passphrase.

 From my $HOME directory I created symbolic links to their mount point
in /Volumes, so I can access them as though they were on my home
directory. The only negative point is that you have to mount the disk
images every time you log on. But my solution to that is to simply
never log off. (uptime is now 11 days.) The advantage is that they
appear in the new finder as disks, so you have easy access to the
direct images if you want to.

HTH

-- Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind -- (Terry
Pratchett)