[Ti] File Vault

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Sat Jan 3 10:13:08 PST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 8:06 AM, arjan.bos at icu.nl wrote:

> Neither am I. I created several small(-ish) encrypted, secured disk
> images for my important files. These images easily fit on a
> memorystick (each), so I can always carry them with me. They are
> encrypted, so it's not easy to read them without the correct
> passphrase.
>
> From my $HOME directory I created symbolic links to their mount point
> in /Volumes, so I can access them as though they were on my home
> directory. The only negative point is that you have to mount the disk
> images every time you log on. But my solution to that is to simply
> never log off. (uptime is now 11 days.) The advantage is that they
> appear in the new finder as disks, so you have easy access to the
> direct images if you want to.

I do this from a 100MB on-disk encrypted image for my sensitive files,
however I don't have it symlinked into my home or anything -- I just
access the files (Quicken, etc.) directly from the mounted volume.  I
have the encryption password in my keychain, so I put the disk image
file in my Startup Items and it mounts at login.  Then I use either the
screen lock or Fast User Switching login screen to lock the account
when sleeping the machine for some measure of security.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net
PGP key at http://codesorcery.net/pubkey.html