Was Vhs to dvd-and back again?

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Sun Jan 4 10:50:25 PST 2004

Different people have told me that dvd or cd's are mediums with a
maximum of quality play life that is very low.
30 plays ( 10 years or so) and it's toast so to speak.

I have no idea of veracity of such statements.  My music cd's seem fine.

I am wondering what is the best long term storage for digitized things
like imovie clips/home movie things.

VHS?
DVD?
CD?
other?

Any comments on this from people that know?

On a side note - My wife's uncle just got hired to the tune of $20,000
to do black and white photo archiving of a government information
because negatives last forever pretty well.  I laughed because I was
looking into whether this branch was going to digitize everything.

comments on good long term storage methods?

thanks
tim

tim.molnar
Digital Tao