[Ti] Powerbook problems

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 13 22:38:47 PST 2004

Sounds to me like it's a logic board issue, though there could be some
minor software problems in there too.  One thing that might help; do
you have an external display you can use temporarily?  See if the
horizontal lines or any other distortion appears on the external
display at the same time as on the internal display.  If so, it's
almost certainly the logic board.
One thing that might help is if you can find a service provider near
you where you can walk in with the computer.  Turn it on, and
demonstrate the problem to whoever accepts the machine.  It helps even
more if you can make the problem happen while booted from an Apple OS
install disk, or some similar known-good boot CD.
Just to prove to them that it's not software, you can back up and then
reformat your hard drive.  See if the problem still occurs, especially
before installing any other problems.

Regarding the wake from sleep crashing, this could be related to the
logic board, as I mentioned above, but it is also often caused by bad
RAM.  If you added any 3rd party RAM to your computer, try removing
half of it at a time, or replacing it with the original Apple RAM.