[Ti] Powerbook problems

Gonzalo Hernández Araujo gonzalo at chez.com
Wed Jan 14 15:42:18 PST 2004

Thanks Kynan for your response.

On Jan 14, 2004, at 12:38 AM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> Sounds to me like it's a logic board issue, though there could be some
> minor software problems in there too.  One thing that might help; do
> you have an external display you can use temporarily?
>  See if the horizontal lines or any other distortion appears on the
> external display at the same time as on the internal display.  If so,
> it's almost certainly the logic board.

I don't have an external display. I'll try to get a borrowed one.

> One thing that might help is if you can find a service provider near
> you where you can walk in with the computer.  Turn it on, and
> demonstrate the problem to whoever accepts the machine.  It helps even
> more if you can make the problem happen while booted from an Apple OS
> install disk, or some similar known-good boot CD.
> Just to prove to them that it's not software, you can back up and then
> reformat your hard drive.  See if the problem still occurs, especially
> before installing any other problems.

I did it when I send it to service, they saw the "problems", but they
couldn't give me the warranty service because at the moment they
weren't an autorized AppleCare center. So the book had to "travel" to
an autorized center, where as I explained before they reported that it
was a software issue. They returned the book almost 2 months later
without haven't done anything to it. At the beginning it worked "fine"
(I got used to the wake/sleep problem) but the problems began again.

> Regarding the wake from sleep crashing, this could be related to the
> logic board, as I mentioned above, but it is also often caused by bad
> RAM.  If you added any 3rd party RAM to your computer, try removing
> half of it at a time, or replacing it with the original Apple RAM.

The book has the original Apple RAM, I haven't added 3rd party RAM.

Gonzalo