sysctl hw.cpufrequency - PROBLEM

etyrnal at ameritech.net etyrnal at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 16 11:40:29 PST 2004

hello...

In the recent past (couple months) my 867MHz TiBook (machine specs. at
end) has started feeling frustratingly sluggish...

as a quick aside - I always thought to myself "I would NEVER put it
past a modern manufacturer to build in to their product a 'urge
customer to buy a new model feature/bug" - especially if they thought
they could hide it or get away with it...

Well...

In the article i heard some people discussing the "sysctl
hw.cpufrequency" terminal command...

if you open your terminal and execute that command it reports your CPU
speed...

well - my Eight Hundred Sixty Seven Mega Hertz TiBook was telling me
that it is a 667MHz machine...

So i started searching around and found another article saying that if
you reset the PMU it will return it to the advertised speed...

Sure enough...  i reset the PMU and the machine boots to "sysctl
hw.cpufrequency" reporting 867MHz - and it boots NOTICEABLY faster -
and runs noticeably faster...

I've heard some people CLAIM that this command does not report the
correct speed...

This makes no sense...  I would estimate that if the command did, in
fact, report incorrectly that it would doone of the following odd
behaviours:

1.) ALWAYS report one wrong speed - regardless of any changes.
2.) Report a VERY wrong speed - eg: 0MHz or 439.7256497537 MHz or some
other 'broken' sounding number.

But this is not the case for me...

I installed "GEEK TOOL" (pretty cool app) to monitor this "sysctl
hw.cpufrequency"...

so at all times geek tool is displaying the results of this command
floating above everything else being displayed at the lower right of my
lcd screen...

If i do a Startup immediately after a PMU reset - it always shows
867MHz...

If i do a NORMAL Restart and let it boot normally - it comes up as
667MHz...

NOW - all of this is ESPECIALLY strange to me as it was my
understanding that the 867MHz models do NOT do Processor Speed Changes
at all...  it was my understanding that the main method of on-battery
power-savings was achieved via disabling the L2 and or L3 cache
memory...  and possibly by the user disabling unnecessary ports eg:
modem, airport, enet, irda, etc...

So for a machine that is supposed (by me at least) to NOT change it's
speed - i find it funny that mine changes...

...especially considering that this machine is ALWAYS on the Power
Charger/Adapter - i use it as my desktop machine.

Also i forgot to mention that once the machine has switched itself to
667MHz - it NEVER switches back automatically - i am FORCED to do a PMU
reset to get it back...

Also it only takes about a day to a day and a half for the machine to
Switch Itself from 867MHz to 667MHz in and of its OWN Accord...

I need a really good explanation on why i should NOT call up Apple and
SCREAM at them...

My frustrations over how SLOW this machine has bees running recently
have affected my peace of mind greatly.

What am i overlooking...

What causes this?

IS there a way to find out if there is any App that may be issuing a
command to force my machine to do this?

Am i wrong about the 867MHz TiBook not supposed to be a cpu-speed
switcher?

And if even so - if this machine is ALWAYS on the Adapter ( and i mean
ALWAYS ) then why would it switch??

I have my energy setting set to Maximum performance...

HELP.

- Luke

867MHz TiBook (once in a while), 512MB Ram, 40GB HD, Older 15.2" LCD,
OS X.2.8 (and holding - X.3 slowed the kids 17" iMac to a crawl), also
bootable to OS 9.2.2...

              __       http://etyrnal.no-ip.com         .__