[Ti] Titanium PB Trade-In Question

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 19 09:39:24 PST 2004

Well, I don't have any personal experience with the trade-in, but my
sister did the same thing to upgrade her PowerBook a long time ago.
She traded in her 5300 (190s were also eligible) for a PowerBook G3
back in the day.  $700 isn't the best price you could possibly get for
your PowerBook, but it does save you from having to go through the
bother of selling it, and at least you know how much you'll get for the
computer.
I would recommend the 17" heartily; I upgraded from the same PowerBook
as you almost a year ago, and it has been great.  I actually carry mine
around with me all day, but the amount of screen space is VERY nice.
Some people are a little bothered by the very large trackpad; you might
find it necessary to turn off the tap-to-click, (or turn on ignore
trackpad while typing) to avoid clicking in random spots on the screen
while writing.  But, in my opinion, the 17" is just right.  The backlit
keyboard is really nice too; I miss that when I'm working on my 12"
PowerBook sometimes.
Also, the purpose of the trade-in is not to get rid of extra stock;
it's to bring in old models to use as spare parts.  The display that
those two models use, for example, is in very low stock, and as a
result, is very expensive to replace.  The trade-in lets them get more
parts which they can refurbish and then use to repair broken computers.
  The computer you get is new, not refurbished.  As a side note, there's
not really a whole lot of difference between new and refurbished ones
anyway; the refurbished ones go through a whole lot of testing
(although I'm sure bad ones probably slip through occasionally), but
both come with the same warranty, and I recommend AppleCare on any
PowerBook, so...
Anyway, if you're considering the upgrade, and don't mind getting a
slightly lower-than-market price in exchange for not having to deal
with selling the computer, it's a good deal.  Otherwise, perhaps find a
buyer elsewhere and upgrade anyway.