[Ti] Titanium PB Trade-In Question

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 11:44:52 PST 2004

On 19.1.2004 13:22, "Dave Friesen" <davefriesen at mac.com> wrote:

> Is there any proof or reference to the spare parts statement below?
>
> Is there evidence that Apple is having difficulty obtaining spare parts
> for the Titaniums?
>
> Current thinking that Apple is trying to clear out stock seems a lot
> more plausible.
>
> I'm thinking G5 Powerbook...

There will not be a G5 PB till at least summer, I would think fall at best.
And this is just a guestimate.  There are rumors that an upgrade for the
powerbook line is in store for Feb 2, but that is just a rumor and to be
taken as such. Clearing out stock is not really an issue as most retailers
have an adequate but small supply.  Ordering on-line via the Apple Store
will yield a build-time so they are keeping inventories low already.  If you
talk with either Apple service providers such as Kynan or others involved in
the repair of macs, then you could find out via the Apple GSX service
network site that indeed the parts mentioned by Kynan are in short supply.
A lot of the books included in the trade-in...it does not cover all the Ti
books...still have Apple Care and in turn Apple needs to have parts.  This
is a good was to assure this in that most are not being manufactured anymore
since the Ti is discontinued.  They have done this in the past...with the
5300 and the 190 series.  Not really a big deal, not really a great deal,
does provide some incentive to buy, you save the hassle of selling your
older book to buy a new one, but for Apple it is a was to acquire parts,
etc.  If they were trying to clear out stock, the deal would probably be a
bit better.
Wishful thinking on the PB G5...I would like to see one too...but I feel the
next upgrade will be just a processor bump...not much else.
Cheers
Rob