[Ti] iTunes and drive space

David david.powerbook at firemail.de
Wed Jan 21 14:16:54 PST 2004

On 1/21/04 4:29 PM, "Bob Bergey" <rb at dprint.com> wrote:

> I got an iPod (40GB) for Christmas and love it ... but I'm struggling
> with a new issue -- particularly running out of space on my TiBook. I
> have a 60GB drive in it, partitioned to three drives, but between
> music and digital photos, I'm running out of space. Can iTunes access
> music on a partition other than the startup, or better yet, access
> music split over two partitions?

Sure. iTunes lets you put the music where you want it. Let's say you have
partitions named One, Two, and Three. Currently your home directory is on
One and that's where your iTunes music is. Further, let's imagine you want
to have your music on Two in a folder called Music.

Go to the preferences of iTunes and change your default folder to Music on
Two. Any new music you rip will be placed there but all your old tunes will
remain on drive One. That's fine and iTunes will be quite happy to have your
tunes split between the two drives.

Perhaps you want to move all your Iggy Pop tunes over to drive Two. Go ahead
and drag them over then delete them from drive One. Now you have a small
problem. iTunes thinks they are on drive One but they aren't. The simple
solution is to drag the Iggy Pop folder (which is now on drive Two) onto
your iTunes library window and iTunes will now know where they are. The
downside to this is you'll have to manually add them back to any other
playlists you have.

Cheers
david

"When will the public cease to insult the teacher's calling with
empty flattery? When will men who would never for a moment encourage
their own sons to enter the work of the public schools cease to tell
us that education is the greatest and noblest of all human callings?"
-William C. Bagley