iPhoto alternative?

Malcolm Hamilton malcolm_hamilton at cbc.ca
Mon Jan 26 09:58:07 PST 2004

Hi all -
Is it o.k. to ask a software question here?  I'm a long-time
powerbook user (Titanium), and figure you people might be as
conscientious about your software as you are about your machines.
I like iPhoto, but I'm wondering if there's something better out
there... I don't mean something as big and complex as Photoshop - -
I'm not wanting to transform my photos into art exhibits - - I just
want a fast, dependable, elegant way to store and organize them.
iPhoto does quite well, but, for example, I'd like the ability to
store smaller 'albums' within larger ones (like keeping all the pix
of my son playing soccer together in their own album, but keeping
this album inside a 'Summer 2003' album, or something like this).
There may be other nice features that other programs have that I'm
not aware of.

Don't get me wrong.  I think iPhoto (especially version 4) is a great
free app, but if I don't mind spending a bit, is there something
better?
Thanks,
Malcolm