[Ti] CD writing software that's smart?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Jan 29 05:52:56 PST 2004

On Jan 27, 2004, at 10:42 AM, rob morris wrote:

>> How can I use the program if I don't have a .mac subscription.
> You don't...you can't.  It comes with the subscription to .mac.
> "Backup" is not for sale as software.  It is not provided as stand
> alone backup software.  It is designed to be used with the service
> much like other parts of other services.  It is not leased software,
> it is just one piece of a......

Actually, that's not entirely accurate.  You can build your own .Mac
server by following the information in these two links, and use the
Backup software without buying a subscription to .Mac:

http://www.drijf.net/dototto/wwwmac.html and

http://www.drijf.net/dototto/index.html

I don't know about legalities, and I haven't read the license for
Backup in detail.  I did set up a pseudo .Mac server as an experiment
on an XServe, and it worked fine despite what this guy claims about OS
X "not being a good choice".

As far as any of this software being "proprietary", what's the big
deal?  OS X itself is proprietary, despite having an open source core.
I use .Mac and am a happy user of the service.  You basically have
three options;
* Pay for .Mac and use it
* Build a hack like the examples shown in the above links
* Don't use it and find something else

The whole service uses standard protocols, and IMHO, whether or not
Backup is proprietary is a non-issue.  Safari, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto,
and all the rest of the software included in OS X is proprietary too.
If that bothers a person, they should possibly switch to using
something else, like linux or FreeBSD.
--
Chris