[Ti] CD writing software that's smart?

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Fri Jan 30 07:33:50 PST 2004

I am beginning to understand all the stories I've heard about mac
zealots are all about. Don't get my wrong I do admire what comes out of
this company and as a NeXTSTEP/Openstep Programmer from way back I've
only jumped on the band wagon since OSX. Considering I paid $169 for
Panther (Aus pricing) I simply would have expected that software that
allows me to backup my hard drive to CD wouldn't be tied to a
subscription service. Someone said that Backup uses the pax format and
that's fine I was just explaining my reasons for not wanting to use any
backup software that uses a non-standard format. I'm not saying Backup
uses a non-standard format. I'm just explaining why it's important to
me that it doesn't.

I've not been convinced by any argument that it makes sense to tie
Backup to .mac thru the optional use of the iDisk is a backup medium.
Yes that's how it is and I probably cannot change it but that shouldn't
stop me expressing my doubts about why it is.

Anyway this thread can die if you let it.