[Ti] Panicking on wake up

andy_park at nospammail.net andy_park at nospammail.net
Sat Jan 31 20:28:22 PST 2004

Resuming an old thread:

On 4 Jun 2003, at 23:11, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> onsdagen den 4 juni 2003 kl 18.54 skrev <ursus at mac.com>:
>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> My 1gig TiBook has started crashing when I wake it up. This doesn't
>>> happen all the time, but enough to make it obvious that something is
>>> amiss.
>
> Shouldn't we however first make certain that Gerry hasn't happened to
> have disconnected some USB-device after the Tibook has gone to sleep?

I feel relieved this issue is known. I am also sad that I had to quote
a discussion this old for a bug this serious - it's a critical bug on
the operating system that leads to an unrecoverable denial of service,
dating back to the previous point release!

> Several have reported thoose panics under such conditions and changing
> that habit to instead disconnect before sleep has solved the problem.

Oh yeah, but this is incredibly stupid and inconvenient. Picking up
one's laptop and disconnecting a USB cable suddenly becomes a
potentially unnerving behavioural action, forcing the user to keep
going through a lot of open documents and save, etc...

I wonder when this bug would be fixed, and also whether we all have it
on our systems by virtue of being Powerbook users.

As a side-note, I've noticed the incidence happen much less when the
following 3rd party software were not installed or disabled -

USB Overdrive X
uControl
Logitech Control Centre

There is an obvious common theme here...

Andy Park

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you
mine are still greater." - Albert Einstein