[Ti] iTunes bypassing Canada [OT - RANT]

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Jul 1 10:35:45 PDT 2004

Shawn King typed this message on 6/30/04 3:18 PM:

> As for iTunes, that's a matter of who controls the music industry - in
> Canada, it's a disparate group of people Apple has to deal with. In China,
> it's the government that controls everything.

The licensing argument is rather specious at best. Why are there over a
dozen Windows based music download sites now running out of Toronto
(PureTracks, Wal*Mart, Bell, etc.) and not a peep from the authors of iTunes
in Cupertino?

And for the Apple store when I think of it there is not a great loss here.
There are plenty of Apple Retail stores in Toronto that would give Apple a
hard time in competition. Probably this is the real reason Apple is staying
out.

jg