[Ti] iTunes bypassing Canada [OT - RANT]

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Sun Jul 4 11:19:35 PDT 2004

I generally agree with Murray's observation that something is Whacky
with the Apple-Canada connection as it concerns iTunes and pricing
generally and particularly how Apple operates in the Education realm in
Canada  (or increasingly doesn't,  as pc's are replacing them - I know
I have seen it happening at least in my neck of the woods).

I would also agree that its unlikely CRTC rulings alone are holding up
Apple iTunes  in Canada.  It's likely Apple's proprietary (?) leanings
that are the road block.  Relying totally on anecdotal evidence I would
say Apple (once very common here in education areas) has given up the
ghost pretty well.  Too bad because the people I have worked with and
met from Apple Canada were some of the most passionate and devoted
users I have run across.

iTunes? It would be nice to have it up and running, but .Mac i
definitely like and use.

Passing the Canadian channel when buying computer related items is
something I have done as well at times.  Apple Canada and Apple (USA)
do things which often seem discontinuous.

I have sometimes got better deals from places like Smalldog, OWC, etc..
than I get from Canadian retailers, or Apple Canada.
With the Free Trade Act  its supposed to be all one big market in North
America (there is no duty charged on camera/computer stuff coming into
Canada from the US) but this isn't how its played out.

Even with companies like ATI who had their origins in Canada, a few
years ago when I was buying vid cards I could buy cheaper in the US
than from in Canada (where they had their head office), and the
difference was like $ 100.

It's ironic that some in the Apple world complain about others
providing no service or less service or software etc.. because of
Apple's "small" installed base (i.e its a windows world etc...), yet
Apple turns around because of "size" (?) and provides lower quality
access to a "small" market (i.e. Canada).  That's business I suppose.

Canadians do have money to spend on Apple products and as far as I know
despite being coloured funny its something any company would like to
get hold of.

cheers all
tim