[Ti] dead hd in 500mHz ti-book

Sam Hotchkiss shotch at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 14:45:35 PDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:59:23 -0700, Charles Shere
<charlesshere at earthlink.net> wrote:
> My ti won't boot up. I hear repeated clicking from the vicinity of the
> trackpad. I assume the HD is not reading.
>
> I've replaced it with a refurb 12" iBook, which will serve well as my
> portable. But I'd like to fix the Ti for use at home. Questions:
>
> . How transfer stuff from the stuck HD? There must be a way to force
> startup from an external drive.

If it won't boot off the drive, chances are you can't read from the
drive if it started off of another one.

> . What internal HD to install in the Ti? How difficult is this
> operation?

The install is pretty easy... i've done it a number of times.  The
drive to gets depends on how much space you want :)  I'd say either a
60 or 80gb 5400+rpm drive.